Castle Veveří, one of the largest castle grounds in the Czech Republic, was created gradually during its almost 800-year history. This originally small hunting castle, or perhaps just the courtyard of the Moravian Margraves, appeared in sources in 1213 for the first time.
As a real stone castle, Veveří was probably built before the mid-13th century. Among other purposes, the castle also served as a place of royal supervision over the settlement of territories upstream of the river Svratka.
The castle was prominently expanded, essentially to its present extent, after the mid-14th century during the reign of Margrave John Henry (younger brother of Emperor Charles IV), who made Veveří into one of his primary residences.